As most of your gardens are already planted, it is important to remember you need to maintain them throughout the summer. Maintaining your garden can help it grow and stay beautiful all summer long. Here are some tips from Jolly Lane Greenhouse to keep your garden healthy and growing.
- Water is the key factor to maintaining your garden. Keep the weather in mind, if it’s been hot and sunny then your plants probably need more water than when it’s cool and rainy. Another thing to remember is that overwatering is possible. If you have a patio plant that sits in a saucer, you don’t want the water sitting in the saucer on a daily basis. Check the soil often before watering. If the soil still feels damp, you can probably skip a day.
- Utilize fertilizer. Fertilizer helps replenish the nutrients that may get flushed out when they get watered. This is especially important in hanging baskets and patio planters that are watered frequently.
- Another step to keeping your garden maintained is by pruning and deadheading your flowers. This means to remove dead or damaged parts of the plant, such as stems or dead blooms. It is not harmful to prune them back, in fact it helps them generate new growth. If some flowers become straggly or tall, a pruning can help with keeping them look best.
- Check for pests or insects. This can be done while you are deadheading or pruning your plants. Some insects or pests like to nibble on your flowers and other plants and this can create a problem for your garden. The first step would be to pick off the insects and if this doesn’t help, a pest control product can be used.
- Finally monitoring how much sun your plants are getting can help keep your garden healthy. Many plants adjust to the environment, but just like people, plants can end up frying if they are in the sun all day. It is possible for some of the leaves to get scorched or sunburnt, especially on hot days. If you notice this, move the plant into the shade for a few days and monitor for improvement.
For any questions about which fertilizer is best for your plants or other garden maintenance techniques, stop in at Jolly Lane Greenhouse and we’d be happy to help. Don’t forget to mark your calendars for Summer Gardening Days, June 22-24. Everything that is green and grows will be 20% off to show our appreciation for our customers!